Monday, May 24, 2010

Anatomy of a salesman


Brian Sullivan, the noted speaking professional, described the “Anatomy of a Sale” (http://www.evancarmichael.com/Sales/3519/The-Anatomy-of-the-Sale.html). There is a parallel anatomy which is quite familiar in the Sales Function. A notation that salesman will understand and learn to achieve in his life.

Those were my initial days of induction into a sales team. I was fresh into the so called “battlefield” (more on this will define why!) of sales, responsible for achieving my revenues and customer acquisitions in a designated territory. Felt Good. Akin to little Simba’s feeling when he sits with his father to watch Pridelands


I strolled around in my kingdom, with ferocious intensity of assault, ruling over. Felt blessed to have decided to pursue sales as a career! With my boss, a hardened professional being my Mufasa, I knew no bounds of joy and pride! Then came the leveler! When u are a Simba and have Mufasa to take care of you, there sure has to be a Scar, bent on spoiling your party. Well this is an absolute law of corporate life and is not exclusive to any particular function.

You need B@#$s of steel: Often the first lesson a sales guy is taught. It might be a smooth ride outside your organisation for achieving everything you ever had to. Back home, it is a roller coaster. Thanks Scar! The review meetings you always had, to stake your claim as a star performer, turns obnoxious.

I remember my sales head once rushing out of a meeting and asking me “anyone has a rabies vaccination?” much to the chagrin of my Live Bomb that can detonate! My Marketing Head!

In the classroom nowadays I am forced to tell people:

“Marketing and Sales are the same with subtle changes in the deliverables.” Reality is so bloody different!

No comments:

Post a Comment